Francesco qualified from University of Padua (Italy) with a DVM in 2006. He spent the next 4 years in small animal practice. In 2010, he started a residency program in Clinical Pathology at the University of Cambridge, which he finished in 2013 attaining both an ECVCP and FRCPath diploma. Francesco joined the Animal Health Trust in 2013 as Head of Clinical Pathology, and from September 2015 works for Battlab.
Francesco has a special interest in lymphoproliferative disorders of dogs and cats and flow cytometry. He is member of the cytology exam committee of the European College of Veterinary Clinical Pathology (ECVCP) and webmaster of the European Society of Veterinary Clinical Pathology (ESVCP) website.
He is author of several publications on peer-reviewed journals and of the cytology chapter of the BSAVA Manual of Veterinary Clinical Pathology (3ed). He is also Editor of the second edition of the book “Veterinary Cytology: Dog, Cat, Horse and Cow: Self-Assessment Color Review”.
Books and book chapters:
- Editor of the book: Cian F, Freeman K. Veterinary Cytology: Dog, Cat, Horse and Cow: Self-Assessment Color Review, 2nd edition, CRC Press, 2017
- Co-author of the chapter “Diagnostic Cytology” of the book: Villiers E, BSAVA Manual of Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 3rd edition, 2016.
- Contributing author for the book: Freeman K, Klenner S. Veterinary Clinical Pathology: A Case-Based Approach, Manson Publishing, 2015.
- Contributing author for the book: Raskin RE, Meyer DJ. Canine and Feline Cytology, 3rd edition, Saunders Elsevier, 2015.
Articles on peer reviewed journals:
- Bisson J, Van Den Steen N, Hawking I, Cian F, Tappin S. Mediastinal histiocytic sarcoma with abdominal metastasis in a Somali cat, Vet Rec Case Rep, 2017, early view
- Cian F, My working week, Vet Rec, 2017, 180(2).
- Cian F, Whiteoak S, Stewart J. A case of giant cell tumour of soft parts in a horse. Vet Clin Pathol. 2016, 45(3), 501-504.
- Bronzini I, Aresu L, Paganin M, Marchioretto L, Comazzi S, Cian F, Riondato F, Marconato L, Martini V, Kronnie G. DNA methylation and targeted sequencing of methyltransferases family genes in canine acute myeloid leukemia, modeling human myeloid leukemia, Veterinary Comparative Oncology Journal, 2016, early view.
- Guzera M, Cian F, Leo C, Winnicka A, Archer J. The use of flow cytometry for immunophenotyping lymphoproliferative disorders in cats: a retrospective study of 19 cases. Vet Comp Oncol. 2016, 14(1), 40-51.
- Cian F, Stewart J, Minshall GJ, Wright IM. What is your diagnosis? Swelling of the left antebrachium and carpus in a horse. Vet Clin Pathol. 2015, 44(4), 609-610.
- Cian F, Monti P, Durham A. Cytology of the lower respiratory tract in horses: an updated review. Equine Vet Educ. 2015. 27(10), 544-553.
- Ortiz AL, Carvalho S, Leo C, Riondato F, Archer J. Cian F. Gamma delta (γδ) T-cell large granular lymphocyte (LGL) lymphoma in a dog. Vet Clin Pathol. 2015. 44(3), 442-447
- Gelain ME, Bertazzolo W, Tutino G, Pogliani E, Cian F, Boudreaux MK. A novel point mutation in the β1-tubulin gene in asymptomatic macrothrombocytopenic Norfolk and Cairn Terriers. Vet Clin Pathol. 2014. 43(3): 317-21
- Cian F, Pitorri F, Villiers E, Archer J, Freeman K. Use of six sigma worksheets for internal and external failure costs associated with candidate quality control rules for an Advia 120 hematology analyzer. Vet Clin Pathol. 2014. 43(2): 164-71.
- Cian F, Guzera M, Frost S, Van Poucke S, Comazzi S, Archer J. Stability of immunophenotypic lymphoid markers in fixed canine peripheral blood for flow cytometric analysis. Vet Clin Pathol. 2014. 43(1): 101-8.
- Cian F, Palus V, Cherubini GB, Archer J, Villiers E. What’s your diagnosis? Cerebrospinal fluid in a dog. Vet Clin Pathol. 2014. 43(1): 115-6
- Cian F, Tyner G, Martini V, Comazzi S, Archer J, Chronic lymphocytic leukemia/ small cell lymphoma in a horse, Vet Clin Pathol. 2013. 42(3): 301-6.
- Ives EJ, Vanhaesebrouck AE, Cian F. Immunocytochemical demonstration of feline infectious peritonitis virus antigen inside cerebrospinal fluid macrophages from a cat. J Feline Med Surg. 2013. 15(12): 1149-53.
- Perazzi A, Busetto R, Martinello T, Drigo M, Pasotto D, Cian F, Patruno M, Iacopetti I. Validation of double centrifugation tube method for concentrating canine platelets. BMC Vet Res. 2013. 22: 9:146.