Information for Blood Culture
There are 2 bottles of media for blood culture connected by a plastic collar. The bottle with the green top is suitable for aerobes and the red topped bottle is suitable for anaerobes.
- Carefully remove the transparent protective cap from the lid of the bottle to expose the rubber seal.
- Disinfect the stopper using alcohol or iodised solution.
- Collect up to 10 ml of blood (no anti-coagulant).
- Inject the blood through the rubber seal in the top of each bottle with the needle (the rubber cap will reseal automatically) – approx 5ml in each bottle.
- Replace the transparent protective cap.
- Give the complete bottles to the BattLab courier.
- If there is a delay in letting us have the sample store at room temperature.